Free Crochet Pattern from Lion Brand Yarn
Tunisian Crochet Cuffs
Pattern Number: L20357
SKILL LEVEL: Easy
SIZE: Adult (Multiple Sizes)
Cuff length is adjustable.
Narrow Cuff About 1 in. (2.5 cm) wide
Medium Cuff About 1 1/2 in. (4 cm) wide
Wide Cuff About 2 1/4 in. (5.5 cm) wide
CORRECTIONS: None as of Jan 31, 2013. To check for later updates, click here.
• 601-650 Lion Brand Bonbons Yarn: Party
• Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size H-8 (5 mm)
• Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
• Additional Materials
6 small buttons
Sewing needle and thread
Exact gauge is not essential to this project.
1. Cuffs are worked in Tunisian crochet (also known as Afghan stitch).
2. All rows of Tunisian Crochet are worked with the right side facing. Do not turn the work.
3. Each row of Tunisian Crochet is worked in two passes; a Forward Pass and a Return Pass. Loops are
picked up and placed on the hook during the Forward Pass. The loops are worked off the hook during
the Return Pass. Do not draw up a loop in the first vertical bar during a Forward Pass. The loop
remaining on the hook after a Return Pass serves as the first loop of the next row.
4. A regular crochet hook is used, instead of a Tunisian hook, because only a small number of loops
are held on the hook at one time.
5. Cuffs are worked with 2 strands of yarn held together to create a dense fabric.
6. Wind copper, sparkling taupe and teal yarns into 2 separate balls each before beginning.
7. Random cross sts are embroidered on completed Cuffs.
With 2 strands of copper held together, ch 4.
Foundation Row (forward pass): Insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, yo and draw up a loop (2 loops on hook),
*keeping all loops on hook, insert hook in next ch, yo and draw up a loop; rep from * across - 4 loops on hook.
Foundation Row (return pass): Yo and draw through first loop, *yo and draw through 2 loops; rep from * until 1
loop remains (this loop becomes the first stitch of the next row).
Row 1 (forward pass): Sk first vertical bar of previous row (against edge of piece), *keeping all loops on hook,
insert hook from right to left under next vertical bar and draw up a loop; rep from * across.
Row 1 (return pass): Yo and draw through first loop, *yo and draw through 2 loops; rep from * until 1 loopremains (this loop becomes the first st of the next row).
Rep both passes of Row 1 until piece measures about 7 1/2 in. (19 cm) from beginning, or desired length to fit
around wrist. Fasten off.
With 2 strands of sparkling taupe held together, ch 7.
Work as for Narrow Cuff, having 7 loops on hook at the end of each Forward pass.
With 2 strands of teal held together, ch 10.
Work as for Narrow Cuff, having 10 loops on hook at the end of each Forward pass.
1. Embroidery was designed to allow for creativity - place your sts as desired.
2. Do not embroider on the Foundation Row or last row.
With colors as desired and using a single strand, embroider Cuffs with cross sts.
With sewing needle and thread, sew buttons to Cuff - for Narrow Cuff sew one button at center of Foundation Row,
for Medium sew 2 buttons evenly spaced across Foundation Row and for Wide sew 3 buttons evenly spaced across
Foundation Row. Use sps between sts on last row for buttonholes.
Weave in ends.
ABBREVIATIONS / REFERENCES
Click for explanation and illustration
ch(s) = chain(s) rep = repeat(s)(ing)
sk = skip sp(s) = space(s)
st(s) = stitch(es) yo = yarn over
For thousands of free patterns, visit our website www.LionBrand.com
To order visit our website www.lionbrand.com or call: (800) 258-YARN (9276) any time!
Copyright ©1998-2011 Lion Brand Yarn Company, all rights reserved.